Penny Polokoff is a Communication Expert, Author, and Philosopher.
She wrote Hero Woman to inspire and awaken the hero inside each one of us. Penny is committed to living her best life, and to helping others do the same.
Penny is also writing a series of books called Conversations Worth Having. The first in the series, Conversations With My Daughter, will be available soon.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- We’re all human – You need to tear yourself down to rebuild yourself. This is the human condition.
- It takes courage and kicking your ego in the teeth in order to evolve to your best self.
- Being pragmatic has taught many of us to stop dreaming big.
- What high school gym class has to do with anything
Penny’s Favorite Non-Fiction Books:
How to Reach Penny:
email: [email protected]
BONUS! You Can Start Communicating More Effectively Right Now. Here’s Penny’s 7 Step Plan.
Creating Context for A New Dialog by Penny Polokoff
Conversation is one type of communication in relationship to self and others. We will look at verbal and energetic cues for successfully connecting and creating a context for purposeful exchange. To begin, it is important to ask yourself a few questions about your own purpose for communicating; in other words:
1. What need or desire will you be seeking the fulfillment of through this particular experience?
2. Is your purpose professional, personal, or requiring a balance of both?
3. Should your language style be formal, informal, or a balance of both to be successful?
4. Do you have your end goal clearly in sight?
5. Are you prepared to move forward (rebuttal, invitation, opportunity) in the conversation?
6. Have you determined if the conversation should continue past this point?
If you are clear that you want to remain in conversation and move forward in building a relationship whether it is a prospect, a vendor, a potential mate, or investor; be certain that you are paying attention to what you yourself, are saying and asking.
We reveal a lot about ourselves in conversation from our likes and dislikes, our tendencies, those we are related to in business and personal life, our insecurities, and also our vulnerabilities.
This is a good reason to have a ‘basic pitch’ or a clear path to follow. Each step will lead to the next and create a context for future discussions, likened to a foundation upon which you will build a home or an empire.
Within the context of a meaningful conversation, one can establish a shared goal or desired outcome, exchange ideas, create an opportunity or understanding, and determine if the timing and connection is right. Once knowledge is obtained, in and through conversation, a relationship can be developed and results can be achieved, or not.
Simply, relationships of all kinds become more fulfilling when communication and agreements are understood, and when they offer rewards to all involved (win-win). Relationships and working in cooperation, through agreements in a shared context with the same expectations, has the potential to produce brilliant and effortless solutions, more rapid success, and powerful alignment. Who wouldn’t want that?
1. Determine your purpose
2. Know your desired outcome
3. Know the person or audience you are speaking to or with
4. Be willing to explore without expectation
5. Listen with your whole self (ask questions and listen attentively and actively)
6. Create an agreement to move forward or agree to move on
7. If moving forward, have a plan/If moving on, ask for permission to stay in touch and then do so, because you have started something with the potential to change lives, bring opportunity, provide a solution, or make a difference with your talent or skill.
Penny Polokoff is a professional writer and marketer with experience in conflict resolution, Law of Attraction Business Coaching, and media communication. She is available for consulting, group training, public speaking, and writing business protocols that effect positive change and growth in business and industry. She can be reached at: 347-385-9942, M-Th 10-4pm EST or e-mail her at [email protected]